[rescue] Sun 911 Case w/ Drives

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Wed May 17 23:01:16 CDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:41:16 -0400, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
>> I really liked the ST15150N drives way back when....  Of course, they
>> ran HOT HOT HOT... but if you kept them cook, they were speedy (for
>> the day), and were nearly bulletproof...
>>
>> I'd never dare run one inside a ss1/1+/5/10 ... they'd just roast
>> themselves.
>
> I seem to recall a story about a fellow (previously a member of this
> list) who ran a -pair- of ST15150N drives in an SS10 that had also had a
> pair of SM512 double-wide mbus modules -and- two VSIMMs.  If I remember
> correctly, the top of the case melted, and the system was shortly
> rendered inoperable.
>
> I used to have an external SCSI tower full of ST15150N drives (attached
> to my SPARCstation LX "server" in college).  It did wonders for keeping
> my feet warm in winter.

Hey, I think I've taken apart an ST15150N drive before back in 2004.  It was in an external enclosure (for obviousl reasons).  Unfortunately I threw out the top of the drive long ago, but I do remember it being a 1.6" high Seagate Barracuda 4 GB drive, and it had 11 platters inside, which I for the most part removed (10 of 11; I had scratched up the top one because of Seagate's damned spindle nut which requires an opened pair of needle nose pliers or similar tool to rotate off of the spindle).  My platter collection is about 23 high now, most of them from that one drive.  I didn't bother to use it because it ran a bit warm for the few minutes I turned it on, and I was going to hunt around a swap meet for a 9 GB Cheetah or something better (which I eventually found).