[rescue] Solaris on UltraSPARC as router/firewall?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri May 12 14:33:23 CDT 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:43:47 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone here has used Solaris on UltraSparc as a
> > router/firewall (with IPF) for greater than T1 speeds.
>
> Not using Solaris, but I'm using NetBSD on an UltraSPARC as a
> router/firewall at 3.0Mbps, and it seems to work well enough.

Just to put a dampener on things, but I used to run a firewall on a dual
CPU Ultra250 which couldn't do more than about 50-70Mbps running
Firewall-1. Now I was running a pretty complex ruleset, and FW-1 isn't
IPF or pf (but is pretty good once you strip off the gui stuff ... in
fact better in terms of features), but if your > T1 speed is approaching
T3 speed then you might need to do some testing.