[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 11 09:34:11 CDT 2006

Tue, 09 May 2006 @ 08:40 -0700, Don Y said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Can you do sub-pixel rendering on an X Terminal?
>
> Most probably *not* -- at least not on *mine* (as they are old
> and so the server software is also quite old).

I was just curious. I haven't had one for awhile now.

> But, the quality
> of the fonts on my heads is comparable to that of a Windows
> machine, etc.

Not surprising, since Windows fonts are pretty ugly.

I personally hate anti-aliased fonts. For years it was the only way to avoid a
lot of fonts looking terrible on a screen, but it look fuzzy to me and wasn't
easy on the eyes for long-term viewing.

> (which, for reviewing DTP output is more than adequate -- and, overkill for
> the text windows that I spend my time in).

I spent most of my time in terminal windows too, and that's specifically
why I use pixpixel rendering for fonts.

The difference in how my eyes feel after a few hours is rather pronounced.

> I guess by NOT working in a "desktop" I don't see a lot of the issues
> that you perhaps face (?)

I think people are making more out of this than I said.

My original issue was just that when not running the desktop, I lost
good rendering of fonts and widgets.

The font problem turned out to be Gnome stomping on my XFT configuration
somehow.  That's all working fine.

The other issue is how programs draw their widgets. Some of them just look
terrible outside of their environment. They also sometimes lose functions like
full CUPS support.

I'd like to see uniform application support in X, and see it without having to
have a million different competing widget libraries loaded.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]