[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue May 9 16:11:04 CDT 2006

 Peter Corlett writes ...

> Don't tell me trailing-edge consumer kit is one of the few
> things that is actually cheaper in the UK than the US?

The other would be French cars, I suppose ...

Seriously, the price of trailing edge computers around here (Seattle, WA,
USA) is highly variable.  A sub-GHz PC would probably be just about free,
but an early SGI Octane might actually have a price tag.  A lot depends on
what it is, who's getting rid of it, etc.

Most of the stuff I have was "priceless" in the sense that it had no price,
but I did pay US$50 for an SGI R10K MaxImpact Indigo2 in workng condition
with a tape drive an an external MO/floppy.  I paid US$5 apiece for a stack
of Sun SPARCclassics.  My Tandem-badged SGI Challenge L "Deskside
Supercomputer" was a freebie, but I've spent a few bucks on upgrades.  Etc.,
so on, and so forth.

Still, I expect things that over here cost US$1 cost UKP1 over there, as
they seemingly always have.  In my travels in the UK, the only thing I've
found that's cheaper there than here is B&B lodging in the countryside.

-Shel