[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 8 10:21:16 CDT 2006

Sun, 07 May 2006 @ 00:55 -0400, der Mouse said:

> Right.  And?  If the window manager in use affects what fonts
> applications use, the window manager has something to do with
> application font choice.  This seems almost tautological to me.

I don't know why you keep going over this.

I didn't say anything about the window manager having support for widgets or
fonts.

> I don't know what a "full desktop environment" is, but leaving that
> term undefined since it doesn't really matter...

Actually it matters quite a bit.

It means a full desktop, like MacOS, Windows, KDE, or Gnome. Not just
displaying windows, but application support, standardized IPC, etc.

> > which these days usually includes code to improve font and widget
> > rendering.
>
> Sounds as though you're saying that the window manager *does* include
> code such as I mentioned (unless you want to get picky about exact

No, and I cannot fathom how you get that idea.

> > No, it is the other parts that come with it that provide support for
> > quality font and widget rendering.
>
> Then why not run them alongside a WM more to your taste?

What would be the point?  The main reason to run a vanilla window
manager setup is to save CPU and memory.

If you load the rest of the environment, you might as well just start it up
normally.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]