[rescue] SGI files for bankruptcy

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon May 8 11:07:05 CDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:
> > <*sob*>
>
> We all knew it was coming....

Yeah, I know, but it's still sad.

> It's ALL LINUX'S FAULT!!!

No, it's SGI's fault for...a number of reasons, including resting on
their laurels instead of actually making some kind of attempt at
keeping up with the rest of the industry.  If they hadn't effectively
abandoned IRIX and MIPS I'd still be using SGI hardware for all of my
needs instead of going to Linux on my servers and desktop (though I
recently made the switch to OSX on the desktop with my new Intel 20"
iMac and my 17" MacBook Pro is arriving today according to
FedEx.com!).

I've got 2 Octanes, 3 Indy's, 1 O2, 2 Origin 200's, and other
miscellaneous older stuff (Crimson, Indigo, etc) sitting up in my
office that spends most of its time powered off now.

Caleb