[rescue] Voyager

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sun May 7 12:29:55 CDT 2006

Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>>> Voyager uses 2.5" SCSI hard drives (like early Apple laptops did).
>> Yes.  Pisser.  Did any of the macs have ~1G drives (or larger)?
>
> There was a Seagate 1.2GB disk native to the Voyager. The last two of
> those machines I had were big diskers.

Hmmm... I thought Sun only released 300M & 800M models (mine is
810M).  Though I suppose there is nothing preventing the use
of larger (caacity) drives (I'm booting off a 4G external drive
until I can sort out the "disk error" issue...)

> The IDE > SCSI adapters for laptop drives also work in the Voyager.

Yeah, but that bastardizes it.  Sort of like putting FLASH memory
in a NOVA II  :-/

>>> As far as I know, no special version of Solaris is needed.  I think
>>> Voyager came out in the 2.5 days... so there might be a release of
>>> 2.5 that added the hw support for Voyager... (this was quite usual
>>> for Sun to spin HW 11/93 release, HW 1/94 release, etc).  I think
>> Yes, I have 2.5 w/patches.  2.6 is on the machine now...
>>> 2.6 and up (till whenever they dropped support for Voyager) should
>>> have all the support on the regular OS CD.  I'm pretty sure 2.6,
>>> and 7 works on Voyager... I don't know about 8 or 9.
>> 7 is the end of the line for Voyager (IIRC) -- though I don't
>> have a copy of 7 to test (I've been told to avoid it... though
>> maybe it was x86 7 that I should avoid?)
>
> I'm fairly certain 2.6 was the last to 'fully' support the V'ger. (2.)
> 7 was ass.

Dunno.  I know 2.6 runs and 8 claims not to support it.
As I said, I had been told (at one point) to avoid 7...

> I have a 2.51 and new 2.6 media set here somewhere.

If you have a chance, could you tell me what the P/N's
are?  I'd like to check to see if they agree ith what
I have (though I think my 2.6 may be a copy and thus
not have Sun markings on the media -- if that's the case,
would you like to part with your set?)

Thanks!
--don