[rescue] Voyager

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun May 7 10:22:33 CDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 00:25, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> >> Voyager uses 2.5" SCSI hard drives (like early Apple laptops did).
> >
> > Yes.  Pisser.  Did any of the macs have ~1G drives (or larger)?
>
> There was a Seagate 1.2GB disk native to the Voyager. The last two of
> those machines I had were big diskers.
>
> The IDE > SCSI adapters for laptop drives also work in the Voyager.

Whenever I get back to my Voyager project... I aquired one of those
to put in it....

> >> As far as I know, no special version of Solaris is needed.  I think
> >> Voyager came out in the 2.5 days... so there might be a release of
> >> 2.5 that added the hw support for Voyager... (this was quite usual
> >> for Sun to spin HW 11/93 release, HW 1/94 release, etc).  I think
> >
> > Yes, I have 2.5 w/patches.  2.6 is on the machine now...
> >> 2.6 and up (till whenever they dropped support for Voyager) should
> >> have all the support on the regular OS CD.  I'm pretty sure 2.6,
> >> and 7 works on Voyager... I don't know about 8 or 9.
> >
> > 7 is the end of the line for Voyager (IIRC) -- though I don't
> > have a copy of 7 to test (I've been told to avoid it... though
> > maybe it was x86 7 that I should avoid?)

I believe 7 is on mine... they dropped support quickly ... but maybe
like other things you could pull drivers from 7 and use them on 8 ???

> I'm fairly certain 2.6 was the last to 'fully' support the V'ger. (2.)
> 7 was ass.
>
> I have a 2.51 and new 2.6 media set here somewhere.

Anyone ever replace the Voyager's CPU with a 110mhz one and make a
'super voyager' ?  I found a web page that talked about doing it
once... but they hadn't done it... wonder if it ever has been done.

-- Curt