[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sat May 6 09:05:13 CDT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 08:48:24AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> where in all of this would you-all rate os/2?  remember, the better
> dos than dos, the better windows than windows?  i've heard stories of
> all the 'fixing-up' ibm programmers did to the ms code; it wouldn't
> surprise me if os/2 ran faster and more reliably than w98, but can it
> run all the same programs?  and it doesn't apparently support as many
> systems, for instance my hp notebook.

I used OS/2 pretty much exclusively from late 1993 until late 1995/early
1996 (versions 2.1 and 3.0) and loved it. It ran all my Windows 3.1 apps
fine and I even had ports of the GNU utilities and gcc. I did manage to
crash it a few times with some of my hand-crafted x86 assembler running in
the Windows 3.1 subsystem, but overall I have very fond memories of it and
its stability.

I still haven't found a graphics viewer that can match PMview (which did
some great stuff, like storing thumbnails in HPFS extended attributes).

I've wanted to install it on a spare machine for a while, but sadly
misplaced my Warp 3.0 CD :(

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/