[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Fri May 5 11:34:20 CDT 2006

At Friday, May 05, 2006 4:59 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Devin L. Ganger wrote:

>> Whereas every time I've tired to get Linux RAID to work, I've ended
>> up with dead filesystems every time. Every distro I've tried, every
>> architecture I've run on, every kernel variant. I finally gave up. I
>> can live with software RAID under Solaris and even Windows, but IME
>> Linux RAID kills filesystems dead.
>>
>> I'm also none too enamored with ext3fs. XFS, on the other hand,
>> rocks on toast.

> I haven't tried JFS or XFS yet, but have had reasonable luck with
> ext3, and I've been using Linux software RAID to mirror my boot disks
> on this machine for years without a glitch.

Simple mirroring at the disk level seems to work fine; it's when you get
into creating RAID-5 volumes that everything starts to come off the
wheels. It really wants to have whole disks dedicated for whatever
you're doing; while you can configure RAID volumes against partitions,
you're asking for trouble if you do.

I'd just come off of a gig involving a lot of VxVM work, so I didn't see
anything weird about RAIDing partitions instead of whole disks.
Apparently all the online Linux folks I talked to thought that was
really strange. I even had one guy tell me that I was doing it
completely wrong (even though nothing in the docs suggested otherwise).

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/