[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 5 10:10:32 CDT 2006

Fri, 05 May 2006 @ 00:16 -0700, Devin L. Ganger said:

> At Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:47 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Linux RAID and LVM work very well, and filesystems like XFS and JFS
> > are nice to have, and ext3 with journaling and btrees is very nice as
> > well.
>
> Whereas every time I've tired to get Linux RAID to work, I've ended up
> with dead filesystems every time. Every distro I've tried, every
> architecture I've run on, every kernel variant. I finally gave up. I can
> live with software RAID under Solaris and even Windows, but IME Linux
> RAID kills filesystems dead.

That's pretty odd.

Linux RAID is *trivial* to set up, and has a good reputation.  I've used
it for years now without issue.

I also had good luck with NetBSD raidframe for about a year.

> I'm also none too enamored with ext3fs.

Why not?

It's a very reliable filesystem with full data journaling and btree indexing,
and an excellent recovery program as well.

You can also scale the journal features, turning on what you want, which is
nice.

IBM's JFS is also a fully journaled filesystem with a focus on data integrity,
and still fast enough for many uses.

> XFS, on the other hand, rocks on toast.

It is if you understand its design goals and limitations.

XFS is a metadata journaling system, it does not journal data. It is optimized
for large rather than small files, though it does have btree indexes. It takes
risks with aggressive write caching to gain speed.

I've used it for years without losing a filesystem, but I did lose data
on a few occasions.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]