[rescue] Small (2U) enclosed racks?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu May 4 14:35:51 CDT 2006

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:50:24AM -0700, Don Y wrote:
>> Can you replace the fan with a less noisey one?
>> Or, hack another fan into the case (two quiet fans
>> vs. one noisey fan, etc.)
>
> Nope - its a brand new machine,

Ah!  <drool>  hard to "feel sorry" for your "problem"!  :>

 > I dont want to mess around with the
> factory-designed cooling or void my warranty.

Yup.  Even putting it in a case is dubious as a means
of reducing noise.

Can't you just locate it someplace else?  E.g., so there is
not a hard surface behind it to reflect sound back at you?

> Pictures:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/72057594124431136/

Ah, it ha a plastic skin.  I was imagining a steel box
that you could slide into a plywood "envelope".  :-(
Sure would be nice if server makers paid *some*
attention to reducing noise levels.  But, given noise
vs. reliability, I'd err on the side of reliability
any day!

> Thanks to Sun, this will be the new sunhelp.org/ohno.mrbill.net in a
> month and a half or so.

Cool!