[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu May 4 14:28:09 CDT 2006

> The 3D cad guy definately needs a decent video card, but something like
> an older Geforce2 or Quadro2 is fine.  Getting a good video card rather
> than a generic doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the motherboard I recommended had
on-board video, NVIDIA GeForce 6100 class.  Not great, but it does support
the latest Pixel Shader 3.0 and has two render pipelines, and would at
least be better than a GeForce 2 dedicated card for sure.  Something to
get by with at least, and would provide good 2D performance and passable
3D performance, and also, since it is PCI-Express based video, can be used
alongside an NVIDIA based PCI-Express video card to provide a third head,
so it doesn't have to be an either/or scenario for built-in video vs. a
card anymore (though the video memory does come from main memory, so
unless you need three heads, better to just turn it off when you have a
video card).

- Nate