[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 3 15:47:32 CDT 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, der Mouse wrote:

> To a certain extent, it actually turned out to be true.  I have a disk
> that won't work with that machine without careful setup.  I have to
> explicitly tell the BIOS there is nothing there; if I let the BIOS
> touch that drive at all, the BIOS wedges.  But if I tell the BIOS
> there's nothing there and boot from somewhere else, the kernel finds
> it fine and everything works.  Annoying.

Sounds like the BIOS doesn't support some of the newer LBA addressing
modes.  Ah, the wonderful world of commodity hardware and "standards"
that should've died decades ago!  I've not tried it, but I suspect a
140GB SCSI disk would Just Work on a SPARCstation 1, provided the OS
supported devices that large and the disk will negotiate at SCSI-II.

FWIW, I supposedly have the exact same problem on my Netra X1, meaning I
can only stuff 240B of disk inside it.  IDE is Wrong, Evil, Broken, and
Bad.  May SATA's triumph over it be swift and thorough.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Humans that lose the capacity to think become
Elgin, TX          (    creatures whose existence has no value."