[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

"Javi Mahai <lefa at ucsc.edu>" at ucsc.edu "Javi Mahai <lefa at ucsc.edu>" at ucsc.edu
Wed May 3 12:50:48 CDT 2006

On Wed, 03 May 2006 07:07:31 -0400
  Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> I wonder whether part of the speedup is due to faster
>memory bandwidth
> in the Opterons.

The opteron does more per clock than the USIII/USIV, at
least from our benchmarks. I was surprised to find that
out, even when compared to the dual G5 sitting under my
desk, for 99% of the code we have thrown at it... the
Opteron was as fast/faster than the G5 that was a few MHz
faster than the Opteron, so AMD has done a fine job with
their microarchitecture (I was rather impressed).

> Isn't anything over a plain US-II also capable of out of
>order
> execution?

Nope, SUN never got any out-of-order machine out. The
UltraSparc V got cancelled because they were out of budget
power and complexity wise. The only guys with out-of-oder
in the SPARC arena are Fujitsu, and the research lab I
work at (we are producing an OOO SPARC chip). The latest
SPARC64 are the only competitive SPARC parts out there
when it comes to single thread performance. Unfortunatedly
a lot of the code in the EDA field is not easily
threadable or has little parallelism, so SUN machines get
crushed when working with things like Synopsys et al. It
is hard to justify buying a new SPARC system when an X86
system costing far lest is over twice as fast for most
tasks. Hopefully SUN will soon offer SPARC64 boxes....