[rescue] limited shelf life of hard drives ?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed May 3 09:47:58 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:24:24AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:10:41AM -0400, C Fernandez wrote:
>> I thought Micropolis had been a respected brand?  I know they went
>> under, although, I don't know any details on that.
>
> At one time they might have been.  Around the time they went under, I
> saw nothing but junk sold under the brand name (I'm *still* pissed about
> a 9G SCSI disk from them dying at home, and that was eight years ago..).

It was my experience that they made great drives <9 gigs.  Their 9 gig
drives (did they make anything larger) were utter crap.  I had a pair
of full height 5.25" 1 gig drives that I beat the heck out of and they
stood up and performed.  Had a few 4 gig drives in a RAID on a news
spool (back when you could do that in 12 gigs) and they did fine too.

Every 9 gig Microp I've run into failed in new and exciting ways.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org