[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Tue May 2 21:06:49 CDT 2006

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:04:27 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 21:40, Javi Mahai @ucsc.edu wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:27:42 -0400
>
>> Hum... there are plenty of capacitors in a U60 motherboard
>> :-) I think this is hte oddest comment I have read
>> regarding comparison of comptuational machinery in a
>> loooooooong time.
>
> I will let others defend me.
>
> The ones who have had caps go bad on cheap PC mobos.
>
> The ones who can explain in detail why lots of caps indicate poor
> design.
>
> And the ones who know that a U60 does NOT have a relatively high cap
> count.
>
> --Patrick

I can sort of agree with this; I took a look at a picture of my U2's guts (the U2 is under a stack of stuff sitting idle, and I'm too lazy to lift the cover off right now), and there aren't any big honking electrolytic caps visible (I can't see under the Creator3D FFB card).  There's guaranteed to be a few "beer cans" in the power supply, but for the most part the board is clean.  I think some of the smaller cylinders are electrolytics; perhaps they get a better lifetime than the "beer can" electrolytics?