[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Tue May 2 20:30:34 CDT 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2006, Don Y wrote:
>
>>> Depends.  We run both here at $ork for logic tests and circuit CAD.
>>> For
>> Sure.  But what did you PAY for those (software) tools?
>
> Probably more than any reasonable person would charge for software.  I
> don't recall the exact figure, but it had a rather strong MEGO factor,
> even for me (and I came from an IBM shop!).
>
>> This kid's pockets are probably not deep enough for that!
>> (since he's only looking at a couple hundred bucks to
>> throw at hardware...)
>
> Undoubtedly.  It's a real shame that it's hard to get ahold of
> limited-edition EE software for non-Windows platforms.  You'd think
> companies like Cadence would -want- the new blood in the industry to be
> fanatical and knowledgable about their tools.  It's a lot easier for
> that to happen when you get the tools into the kids' hands BEFORE they
> land a job.
>
> I mean, say a kid even builds a widget and makes money from the no-cost
> version of some schematic capture or board layout software.  Eventually,
> he'll outgrow the limitations of the software, and, if he's used to
> Brand A software, he'll put the money he made towards a license of Brand
> A Professional.

Yup, you're preaching the the choir, here!  :-(

Plus, the worth of yet another seat that can bias
*other* users (== potential customers) to adopt
the same tools, etc.

In my case, I can either convince clients to use
tools that *I* pick OR (as is more often the case)
I can use tools that they have picked.  :-(