[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Wesley Will wwill at siu.edu
Tue May 2 14:52:04 CDT 2006

> But, are we seriously talking about a dual-450MHz UltraSparc being
> better for computationally intensive engineering tasks than a modern
> amd64 system running Solaris 10?

Add in the possibility of running it 24/7 for low-end (personal)
server duty (web, ftp, ssh, and so forth), the actual proven longevity
of Sun systems, etc., yes, actually we do seem to be doing just that.

Do you have comparison throughput for such computational processes to
offer?

Also consider the price range we're dealing with.  The kid can't
afford a couple C-notes for RAM, another five bills for the
motherboard and CPU, some sort of case, more for the graphics board
though I can gift him with some old junk, hard disks, and so forth for
your "modern amd64 system" ....

--
www