[rescue] Supported PCI cards under Solaris/sparc (official or otherwise)

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon May 1 01:58:57 CDT 2006

On Apr 30, 2006, at 01:43, Matthew Weigel wrote:

> Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
>
>> Firewire - Unless it's built in to your machine like the Blade 100
>> and up, there seem to be no third-party options. I don't care about
>> booting from it, I just want to attach drives to it.
>
> My reading of the Internet Oracle was different - I thought I saw
> (although I can't confirm now) that people were happily using the
> Belkin
> F5U508 USB2.0/Firewire card was supported in Solaris/sparc.  Certainly
> it's on my list of PCI cards to grab for my E-250.

Hmm. You're right. It's on this page -
	http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/S8List.html
but I couldn't find it by browsing the USB or Firewire category. It
also mentions an Addonics "USB2.0/FireWire/Serial ATA Host
Controller", and says that it is supported under Solaris 10/sparc. If
all of those things work (and it's not just one of the three
functions that's supported), then that's almost everything I need in
a single card. Sweet.

> (...)
> Yep, been eyeing that myself, if I want better performance than the
> above-mentioned Firewire card can provide.

Unfortunately, I don't need performance, just cheap.

  - Micah