[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

William Kirkland bill.kirkland at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 10:57:03 CDT 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 18:48, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:37:46 -0700
> From: "Devin L. Ganger" <devin at thecabal.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> At Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:29 AM:, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 02:18:36PM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
>
>>> insecure. At the same time, though, I've seen companies that still
>>> insist on using Windows NT 4.0, Exchange 5.5, and Windows 98 --
>>> because the vendor of some specific application they need refuses to
>>> certify that application on anything more modern.
>
>> What application depends on Exchange 5.5?  I don't think I've heard
>> of a program requiring a particular version of Exchange before.  That
>> is quite sad.
>
> Mostly custom applications or specialized connectors to specific
> messaging systems.
>
> --
> Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
> Devin on Earth: http://blogs.thecabal.org/blogs/devin/

I think the part that is missing here is that the vendor has not
"certified" their software ... This does not necessarily mean it will
not run, just that the vendor may be unwilling to perform the
extensive testing required for certification for some, usually
financial, reason. Then management typically steps in and rules "thou
shall not upgrade this system." ... later you will be accused of
deficient performance because you have not upgraded your systems.