[rescue] SGI pieces wanted

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jul 27 06:16:38 CDT 2006

I got my hands on an O2 a few months ago from Rochester Computer
(http://www.rochestercomputer.com/). They are a retail front for a
'computer recycling' business that takes old hardware from large
companies. They also maintain an eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/
Electronics-Cafe) that sometimes has some interesting hardware.

Look through their site and eBay auctions for an O2, if you can't
find one, call them. Because I am local, I managed to get a tour of
their warehouse (and an Ultra 5). They have pallets of assorted
hardware, some of which is rescue-worthy. They should be able to dig
up an O2 for you. I paid them $10 for my O2 off eBay which turned out
to have double the RAM they listed and a DVD-ROM drive.

I got the sense that they didn't like dealing direct with somebody
that was only buying one piece of hardware, so you might want to make
a shopping list. They tend to charge a bit much for Apple hardware,
but they've got a good selection of older Sun boxes and a few SGI
boxes. If you can afford the shipping, they've got stuff by the pallet.

As far as the IRIX 6.5 CDs go, I managed to get my hands on a set for
a few hours to make images of them... Unfortunately, my PowerBook was
unable to copy the boot sector of the discs properly and none of the
images worked.
--
Jeremy Grosser
synack at csh.rit.edu