[rescue] Bulk Eraser suggestions?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jul 25 14:01:03 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:02, Don Y wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > I need to, as cheaply as possible, borrow/rent/buy a bulk eraser
> > that will handle (few hundred) 8mm DAT and (20-30) DLT-III tapes,
> > letting us get them done in an afternoon (e.g., continuous duty
> > cycle).
>
> Hmmm... I have a handheld unit that works quite well
> (about half the height of a 28oz can of tomato puree).
> DLT, VHS, QIC, other "cartridge tapes" just take a few
> seconds to "wipe" clean.

On another note, if you're just trying to destroy (not reuse) the media,
why don't you do what <some particular person who works for Purdue>
would do, and buy yourself some LOX from the local welding supply
company, douse them in that, and toss (from about 20ft away) a "spark"
on the pile? *

Failing that, thermite would probably work fairly well.

* Don't try this at home, kids.

Pat