[rescue] Bulk Eraser suggestions?

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:07:33 CDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I need to, as cheaply as possible, borrow/rent/buy a bulk eraser that will
> handle (few hundred) 8mm DAT and (20-30) DLT-III tapes, letting us
> get them done in an afternoon (e.g., continuous duty cycle).
>
> Suggestions/URLs?

Have you considered "a dirty great big coil of magnet wire across the
mains"?

I have a book about early colour TV somewhere, and in it there is a
recipe for a degausser. It goes basically "Get a 12 inch coil former, wind
on 400 turns of x gauge enamelled copper wire, connect across the mains".
It wouldn't work as specified on 115v/60Hz, but something similar would,
I'd have thought?

Ed.