[rescue] How to move an IBM SP using a minivan..

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jul 19 18:56:28 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 17:46, Rox wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2006 at 13:38, Francois Dion wrote:
> > If you think about it, a minivan is designed to move 8 adults + stuff.
> > Assuming 200-250lbs per person, that is definitely more than that
> > server. 7 or 8 seater wagons tend to make good haulers too.
>
> I have to wonder if any of the people who move hardware this way have
> ever considered the kinetic energy of 800 pounds of server travelling
> at 60 mph, and what it would do to the front seat and driver in the
> event of a frontal collision.

Or more importantly, what it'd do to the hardware!  Fortunately, IBM stuff is
generally strong enough that it'd probably stand up go flying through the
front seats, it's "movers", and the windshield (or engineblock) of the
transport vehicle.  A new coat of paint, and your next-of-kin has a nice
functional POWER3-II box.

But seriously, as long as it's wedged in or tied down adequately, I wouldn't
worry about that.  If the decceleration is enough to make the rack injure
you, you're not in for a good time, even if you didn't have the rack to worry
about.

Pat