[rescue] How to move an IBM SP using a minivan..

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 18 08:28:10 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 08:56, James Fogg wrote:
> > Also known as "how to have fun at midnight on a Saturday
> > night in West Lafayette, Indiana."
> >
> > http://computer-refuge.org/compcollect/ibm/rs6k/sp-dan/
> >
> > Thanks go to Jay West for taking and providing pictures for the page!
>

> I wonder if he made it home before tires started blowing out from
> highway speeds while overloaded. If he did have a blowout, I wonder if
> the jack was able to lift the vehicle. And then there's the whole issue
> about temp-a-spares.

Actually the Chrysler minivans have always been pretty tough vehicles.

I once had about 4000 pounds (80 boxes @ 50 apiece) on one and took it
from Buffalo NY into a location 2 hours into Canada.  Had it up to 70mph
or so as well during that time.  This same minivan took daily pounding
often with 1000 lbs or more loaded.

Another time I took a loaded Auspex NS7000 from Ann Arbor, MI to PA.
That was just a lot of driving, though the full size rack fit in the
back and it did weigh a few hundred pounds.

--Patrick