[rescue] Hardware failure

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Jul 15 18:47:02 CDT 2006

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Yeah, it seems like their platform cycle time is short.  Almost
> eveything now is either Socket 754 or Socket 939, though I saw a few
> references to a Socket AM2 (but have no idea what it is).

Pshaw, Socket 754 and Socket 939 are passe; Socket AM2 is a 940-pin
socket designed for DDR2.  *All* new consumer-oriented setups will be
AM2 in the next 6 months.

Socket 754 and Socket 939 non-Opteron CPUs are almost totally gone from
the retail markets (but they'll live long on eBay), and (non-server)
motherboards will follow shortly.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com