[rescue] a possible dvdrom for sun blade 100?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jul 12 10:15:29 CDT 2006

" From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
"
" > If it is IDE it is likely to work, and very unlikely to cause permenant
" > problems unless one of the devices is actually damaged already.
"
" Tuning in on this late, keep in mind that the DVD drive has to support the
" equivalent of the SCSI-II set blocksize command (or whatever it's called).
"
" If it does not or you don't "boot cdrom", it will be in 2048 byte block
" mode and you will get overruns. Solaris eventualy fixed this problem and
" will boot from 2048 byte block drives. I know Solaris 10 has the fix, I
" don't know when it appeared.

it wasn't solaris, it was obp, and it first appeared with obp3 in the
ultra 1.

" AFIK NONE of the other operating systems, e.g. Linux, xBSD, SunOS, etc
" have this support in them.

they don't need it.

well, sunos and solaris have always had it for reading boot media, but
you can't boot from them if the drive isn't set to 512b blocks when
the obp tries to read the bootloader.

" I don't know which DVD or CDROM drives support the command, but as a guess,
" Sony, Plextor and Toshiba do, and NEC does not. This is based on their
" SCSI drives.

i'd be surprised if any made since the late '90s don't.