[rescue] a possible dvdrom for sun blade 100?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jul 12 09:00:06 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:37:22PM -0600, Arthur Wouk wrote:
> in the continuing saga of my blade 100, i have had the following
> thought. i have a hitachi GD-7000 dvd-rom which was pulled from my
> daughter's g4 when we installed a dvd-burner. it is an ide device
> which was very satisfactory when she only wanted to burn cds.
>
> there is no problem physically in replacing the cdrom (liteon i
> believe) which the blade 100 comes with.  i also know that there are
> blad 100s with dvd-roms in them.
>
> sometimes however, drives have firmware which is particular to the
> manufacturer of the computer. how can i tell if this is so for the
> drive in this case? google tells me nothing, unfortunately.
> also, does sun have an accessible list of supported dvd-rom drives?
>
> any clues to help me answer this question would be appreciated.
>
> also, if you have successfully replaced the cdrom with a dvd-rom,
> which one?

In general, unless there is a good reason to fear permenant damage (or
the items are extremely expensive), if you already have the pieces just
try it and then ask questions if it doesn't work (after a shot at google
preferably).

If it is IDE it is likely to work, and very unlikely to cause permenant
problems unless one of the devices is actually damaged already.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/