[rescue] a possible dvdrom for sun blade 100?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jul 12 00:47:06 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:37:22PM -0600, Arthur Wouk wrote:
> sometimes however, drives have firmware which is particular to the
> manufacturer of the computer. how can i tell if this is so for the
> drive in this case? google tells me nothing, unfortunately.

Just swap it out, it should work fine.  I threw a Lite-On SOHW-1693S
drive in an Ultra 10 and it worked great.

The only DVD-ROM problem I've had was when I went to replace the IDE
subsystem with SCSI; the Sun-supplied Toshiba DVD-ROM needed a firmware
upgrade in order to be able to boot Solaris 9 and 10:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=111649&toDocument=yes

Bill

--
Bill Bradford