[rescue] SATA Card for Sun Blade 100

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 11 11:27:55 CDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:07:39PM +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> hmm, I bought a SATA controller for my G4 SawTooth which seems to FCODE
> in the firmware as it's a bootable controller. Before I try sticking it
> in my Blade 100, does anyone reckon the OBP will recognise the
> controller as a bootable device straight away?

Which SATA card did you get?

> Is there a difference between the FCODE for Sun & Apple??

My understanding is that there is some compatibility and some
differences.  From the sounds of it, from OpenBoot you should be able to
attempt to execute the functions in the card, but the card may try to
call functions that Apple provides (and Sun doesn't), and during a
normal boot sequence, OpenBoot may try to call Sun specific functions
that the card doesn't provide.

I think part of the issue might be with device paths?

Someone had been working on writing a compatibility layer (I think it
was for Apple cards in Suns), but I don't know if the project ever
became useable, or even what the web page for it was.

It sure would be a cool project to hack on.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/