[rescue] help with sym22801 in blade 100

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Jul 10 16:24:13 CDT 2006

At 04:10 PM 7/10/2006 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>The embedded world has variety, but not as much as you would hope. Most
>of the higher end devices have ARM chips and people think that is just fine.

Looks like there's still a lot of MIPS and PowerPC stuff at the high end.
Renesas is still reving the SuperH, and Coldfire is spreading to the high
end 32 bit arena.  Didn't Atmel just introduce a brand new 32 bit arch, avr32?

Embedded 32 bit SPARC is still still kicking around--someone just the other
day mentioned using it in a space application.

I think PA-RISC, AMD 29k, and i960 are pretty much gone or almost gone.

>Motorola is still selling a variant of the the 68000 chip, after putting
>millions of them in cell phones.

There's more than one live 68k variant out there.  I'm using a couple.

>The Z8 (a predecessor to the Z80) is still alive and well in the embedded

News to me.  I thought the Z8 was a fairly recent low-end 8 bit design, not
a Z80 precursor.  But I don't really know.  (I've used the Z180 and
Rabbits, but not a Z80.)

>world. It's a lot slower than the ARM, but it's cheap, comes with many
>I/O and memory options and is close enough to an X86 that someone who learned
>assembly language on a PC can move over to it quickly.

Tons of 8 bit options out there: 8051, avr, pic, 68xx, 6502, z80, Rabbit,
MELPS, H8, ACE, and maybe something from NatSemi.  Probably another dozen
that I've not named.

--
newell  N5TNL