[rescue] help with sym22801 in blade 100

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sun Jul 9 12:07:23 CDT 2006

Quoth Patrick Finnegan ...
> On Sunday 09 July 2006 01:57, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > Michael Parson wrote:
> > > HD68 is the external connector for 68 pin SCSI.  That
> > > should be what you
> > > want/need.
> > >
> > > LVD is Low Voltage Differential SCSI.
> > >
> > > As opposed to the older, not used much anymore, HVD, High Voltage
> > > DIff.  Might still run across it if you pick up an older
> > > DLT drive or something.
> >
> > I've seen all three on both HD68 and VHDCI.
> >
> > The only things I've ever seen use HVD are Sun
> > D1000s/A1000s and some
> > tape robots... Most stuff I get my hands on is either SE or LVD.
>
> And "older" HP external wide-SCSI drives (and enclosures),
> and the system
> disks for my SparcCenter 2000E, and system disks for a
> Sequent NUMA-Q system
> are other things I've had that were Diff SCSI.

SGI really liked HVD in the 1990s, too.  One of the two internal SCSI
channels in a typical deskside Challenge/Onyx was HVD, and your chances are
better than even that any external SCSI channels on those machines are, too.
In addition, the little Challenge S server (an Indy minus audio and video,
plus much SCSI and networking) typically had two external HVD SCSI chains.
Like a regular Indy, however, the internal SCSI stuff was SE.

I assume other SGI stuff of the period had HVD influences, too, though my
Indigo2 and Octane are blessedly free of it.

When you add up the various SCSI external connector styles, the actual
device connector styles, and the different voltage standards, you see a bit
of the old "connector conspiracy" at work.  If you could see through the
smoke from the burning sacrificial goats, that is.

-Shel