[rescue] rebuildability

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Jul 7 08:32:47 CDT 2006

Thus spake Kevin Foote:
> hi all
> not sure if i should be posting this here. :-)
> i have a 12" g3 iBook that has a bad screen but otherwise works great..
> from
> what i gather its the backlight on the actual lcd.
> a new screen rig from powerbookmedic <http://www.powerbookmedic.com> costs
> ~$299 my general question is is this actually worth the referb time /
> money.
> ive also thought
> of buying a parts rig on ebay but then i cant guarantee the lcd is good
> (unless specified of course).
>
> if / when i get this thing up it would be a box for my wife in the kitchen
> area to browse etc with ..
>
> i know that is a user specific question  _wether it is worth it or not_
> but
> i know there a a lot of mac peopel on the list that might have experience
> replacing / repairing so i thought id ask anyway.

Yes.

You can find the LCD much cheaper on E-Bay.  The system is an almost ideal
"rough and tumble" general use system.  (You didn't specify if it was one
of the older Clamshell iBooks or not.  The Clamshell models are pretty
indestructable - if they could only be upgraded to 1024x768 I'd still be
using mine all the time.)

How much ram do you have in it?  If it's less than 512M I'd spend also for
RAM.

The LCD screen itself is not that hard to replace if you have the time and
patience.  Instructions and parts can be gotten from http://www.ifixit.com

Mike Hebel
----
"It sticks to your mouth like library paste, has a stronger kick than
toxic waste, there's nothing that you'll ever taste like 307 Ale!" - Tom
Smith - 307 Ale