[rescue] adding a disk to my u2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 4 13:19:40 CDT 2006

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: Tue Jul 04 06:21:24 CDT 2006
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] adding a disk to my u2

<snip>
>I'm going to have to replace the 45G 2.5" IDE drive in my "new" (to me,
>at least) PowerBook G4 [0], because it sounds like steel ball bearings
>in a glass jar.  That is, unless the Hitachi/IBM TravelStar drives from
>five years ago were *supposed* to sound like that..

Laptop drives are pretty cheap nowadays - I picked up three (!) Seagate 60 Gig HDs at Best Buy recently, when they hit just about $1/Gig (I think it was back in April).

Related back to previous posts on this thread, I came across a vendor with a seemingly large supply of new SCSI drives (80 and 68 pin drives) in lots of smaller sizes (down to 1 Gig) for few dollars: compuvest.com

Disclaimer, I've bought materials for work through them, not SCSI HDs, but their service has always been good. No connection to seller...

I may get some 68 pin drives from them, rather than spen money on adapters to use on my SCA drives (9 gig drives for about $10 vs. $5-10 for a 68 pin to SCA adapter).

They have 40 - 120 Gig laptop drives for about $1/gig, including new 2.5" SATA drives as well. But, those prices are pretty common these days.

Just a heads-up, fo rthose interested...

Lionel