[rescue] looking for SGI system, cheap

Matthew Weigel unique at idempot.net
Fri Jan 27 13:49:15 CST 2006

Steven M Jones wrote:

> I was just wondering if these two anecdotal accounts add up to an
> explanation in some list members mind. Sure, it could just be
> "poor coding," but ...

Yes, the processors were not designed for integer performance.

In 3D rendering, scientific processing, and so on, integers are used to
count loops, and to manage the user interface - and not much else.
Faster integer operation execution time could change the performance of
such an app by maybe 10%.

SGI didn't focus very much on it, because their customers didn't need it.
--
  Matthew Weigel
  hacker
  unique at idempot.net