[rescue] NeWS

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 24 11:02:22 CST 2006

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 07:36:02PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>

>>Gnome dropped CORBA though. They only used it partway through 1.x and
>>moved to their own IPC system. I suppose you can say it is based on
>>CORBA, but I got lost some time ago, and it just doesn't look the same
>>to me any more.
>

> Do you mean dbus?  If so, it isn't strictly GNOME's to my
> understanding.  It looks better to me, but I haven't actually played
> with it, just skimmed an article about it.

Um... dbus and hal cover a far different thing than Gnome's internal IPC
(called bonobo I believe).

dbus and hal are about hardware recognition and the automation thereof.

> For many people duplicating outlook is important.  While I hate outlook
> (and have a strong dislike of Evolution), using linux at work would be
> significantly less pleasant without Evolution, in a mostly MS
> environment that I can't control.

Why also duplicate the bugs though?

Evolution is huge, buggy, slow, and has some of the same UI and other
bugs that Outlook has.

Sure, copy the functionality, but let's avoid the problems...