[rescue] NeWS

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Mon Jan 23 17:30:36 CST 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 1/22/06, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For hundreds of dollars, I expect better. Solaris does better, and free
>>> software does better.
>> How much do commercial Solaris licenses for workstations cost?
>
> With the hardware--nothing except the cost of media.  And you
> don't need that if you are willing to DL.
 >
> I can't think of an instance where (at work) I've been charged for
> a "license" for Solaris proper.  Unless you are buying multi-proc
> systems used and want to be "legal" so you can put a service
> contract on the things, I can't see any scenario where you'd have
> to pay for Solaris.

Solaris (10) is entirely free for commercial or non commercial use,
regardless of number of processors.
Support, however, costs.  (that maybe what you said, but isn't how I
read it)

> Up until very recently, some of the "other stuff" cost $$, but that
> appears to be going away unless you are a "very large" site.

Going away entirely, I believe, unless you want support.

> For instance, you only need to pay for the Sun LDAP server if you
> have greater than 250K clients.

I think that changed recently, and you now only have to pay for support.