[rescue] NeWS

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:59:09 CST 2006

Richard wrote:
>>Windows costs almost three hundred dollars.  I expect a lot more from an
>>OS that costs about two days worth of hard earned salary.
>
> Photoshop (and many other applications) cost $500.  Do you expect more
> from Photoshop than you expect from your OS?

I would tend not to use Photoshop either, but I don't do much photo
editing.  What little I've done, I've done with the GIMP.

> Prices are all relative and not everyone pays retail either.  Upgrades
> typically cost less, but the last time I paid for a legitimate copy of
> Windows was Windows 95.  MS gave me a copy of Windows 2000 and
> everything I've used since then, but I admit that's not typical for a
> user.  MS gives away tons of stuff to developers though.  As a
> developer I've been treated very well by MS, while Sun/SGI/etc. never
> gave me the time of day, much less free dev tools.

The NetBSD Project and the GNU Project give me my OS and developer tools
for free.

And, as far as commercial software goes, I use AIX, VMS, MVS and others.
  OS/390 even costs a bundle, in comparison to Windows.  The only reason
I keep Windows around is to play games.  And Cedega or Wine might make
that use unnecessary.

Peace...  Sridhar