[rescue] NeWS

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Jan 21 22:20:56 CST 2006

Richard wrote:
> Its obviously fashionable to bitch about Windows, but I'll counter that
> I am a happy Windows user and have been since I first purchased a P90
> with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.  Each successive release has been an
> improvement for me over the previous one and I am looking forward to
> Vista as well.  IMO, you get an incredible array of functionality for
> what you pay for Windows.
>
> Now before you jump all over me, let me say that I'm not telling you
> what you have to like/buy/use.  You are free to hate Windows as much
> as you like -- go shout it from the highest rooftop if you feel the
> need.

Most people have to admit that there is some usefulenss in Windows.
However, there are some really basic things that are *so* frustrating to
me that it really obscures any benefit.

My first example would be Windows networking. Windows is *so* terrible
at networking that I don't think that Windows should be allowed on any
network. Starting with Windows 3.11's stupid error messages like "The
network is busy" and "No network provider accepted the given path"
through the awful organization of DNS components in Windows 2000 and XP,
Windows networking has always been a disaster.

For hundreds of dollars, I expect better. Solaris does better, and free
software does better.

And, I haven't even touched security, the lag time in accepting new
concepts (like the Internet, ssh), DRM, recycling old code in new
products (and denying it, like "no DOS in Windows 95), finding new
hardware on the 200th reboot, refusing to produce standards-based
programs, and so on.

Yes, each Windows version (with the possible exception of PlaySkool
Windows, i.e. Windows XP) has been an improvement over previous
versions. So?

There are many, many reasons to complain about Windows. Don't get us all
started here. Most rescues are not to run Windows.

Steve