[rescue] Serial console on an IBM RS/6000 3CT

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Wed Jan 18 20:44:32 CST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Andrew Jones wrote:

> So, having obtained AIX 5.1 media, finally, I took it upon myself
> to get
> my first and only RS/6000 system running, a Powerstation 3CT.  The
> problem I've run into is that I cannot, for the life of me, get a
> serial
> console.  It came with a framebuffer, but it uses a very unusual
> connector. (3w3, rather than 13w3)

AIX defines the console in the ODM. So if the graphics head is the
console, it's the console always, until you run 'chcons' to change
it. You may have to enable a tty for login before you can chcons to
that port.

If you aren't that far, you have to boot the CD and re-install.

The 3W3 is not that unusual. DEC and Apollo both used that connector
for analog RGB video as well, though the IBM ordered the cable
differently. You can substitute one cable for another, but the color
coding on the BNC end may or may not be "correct".

ok
bear