[rescue] info trumps man (was: My Best Rescue to Date.. Ever)

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jan 18 17:03:34 CST 2006

In article <20060118220409.GI23708 at widomaker.com>,
    Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>  writes:

> The content sometimes sucks because GNU people often write bad
> documentation and often only in info format, but that's not the fault of
> Linux.

If there's any one thing overall that irritates the shit out of me with
the GNU folks, its this NIH philosophy that's pervasive across all of
GNU to the point that their man pages are useless and always refer me
to some info documentation that is a total piece of shit reference and
usually a half-assed tutorial.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with man pages and they are *much*
more useful than info pages.... unless you use emacs as your shell and
sit inside it all day long.  Which I don't.  I hate it when gnu tools
take a perfectly good man page that was originally shipping with the
tool and instead replace it with a stub that says "look at our info
page, you dumb shit" and the info docs are *worse* than what was in
the original man page.  One step forward, two steps back.
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>