[rescue] Serial console on an IBM RS/6000 3CT

Andrew Jones aijones2 at bsu.edu
Wed Jan 18 14:36:33 CST 2006

>Do you have the key?  If so, boot it in service mode.  It should ask
you
>where the console is.

I don't have the key, but the case is unlocked.  So I just popped the
back of the lock off and used a screwdriver to twist the switch over one
notch, into what I was hoping was the "service" position.

Nothing appears to change regardless of the position of the switch that
was in the back of the lock.  The reset button, for instance, is always
inactive (as far as I can tell without a console).

>And yes, there won't be any console output if you don't have a
bootable
>CD-ROM or HDD.

With AIX 5.1 disc 1 inserted, when I press the power switch, the
following happens, in this order:

1. "120" on the 3-digit display.
2. "124" on the 3-digit display.
3. CD-ROM drive blinks a bit.
4. Hard drive spins up.

Nothing ever comes up on the serial port.