[rescue] Serial console on an IBM RS/6000 3CT

Andrew Jones aijones2 at bsu.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:07:43 CST 2006

So, having obtained AIX 5.1 media, finally, I took it upon myself to get
my first and only RS/6000 system running, a Powerstation 3CT.  The
problem I've run into is that I cannot, for the life of me, get a serial
console.  It came with a framebuffer, but it uses a very unusual
connector. (3w3, rather than 13w3)

I tried pulling the framebuffer.  I tried both serial ports.

Working from the numeric display on the front of the system, I think
it's booting.  It flashes the codes 120 and 124, then goes blank.  I
believe that indicates a successful self-test.

Do I need to be booting a disc to expect any output on the serial
console? Is the serial not simple 9600, 8N1 ? I guess I expected to see
diagnostics or /something/.