[rescue] NeWS

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Jan 17 16:36:20 CST 2006

In article <20060117223210.GQ8635 at mrbill.net>,
    Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>  writes:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:21:52PM -0600, Erie Patsellis wrote:
> > about 6 mos before the Next came out, we had 3 of them....they served me
> > quite well for many years.
>
> Don't forget the un-related Sony NeWS workstation too!  I had one before
> I moved to Houston a year ago.  Tried to give it away to the netbsd porting
> folks, but nobody ever wanted to pay for shipping or pick it up.

The irony is that the machines that always failed in the marketplace
are the ones that are collectible pieces of history now!

It would be nice to have a workstation running NeWS for my little
museum, but I bet that its hard to find a Sun distribution or an SGI
distribution of NeWS at this point.  (I tried my coding on an SGI.)

A NeXT box is much easier to come by -- I see them regularly on ebay.
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>