[rescue] My Best Rescue to Date.. Ever

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jan 17 12:12:31 CST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> Bloated, yes, but it seems to do a better job of keeping userland
>> processes running even under heavy I/O.  Most of that bloat doesn't
>> even have to get installed, btw, unless you -want- wsm and DB/2 and
>> whatever else they've crammed onto the distribution media.
>
> Is that a full version of DB/2, or just the runtime needed for
> applications?

As I recall, it's The Whole Thing.  I'm not entire sure that some
version of WebSphere Application Server isn't on those CDs, as well.

> I hate to see them bloating the OS media.  *ALL* of the UNIX system
> installs should seperate the base OS install from everything else.

AIX does.  You install BOS ("base operating system") when you boot from
the CDs, and then you can go back and install additional packages later.

> Having to select/deselect packages during initial install is a major
> PITA.

Good thing AIX doesn't make you do that, then.

> A simple base OS with an unpolluted and unbloated install, and
> everything else seperate like it should be.

Maybe you should run AIX. :)

> Like... NetBSD.  Linux distributions, Sun, IBM, etc... they could all
> learn a lot from those guys.

Sun, maybe.

>> I hate what they did to the man pages in 5.3.  I've had a hard time
>> thinking of anything else that irritates me.
>
> What have they done?

They went from IBM-style formatting to Linux-style formatting.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"