[rescue] FS/FTGH: Sun kit

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Jan 17 01:33:52 CST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:51:33 -0700, Richard wrote:
> In article <200601162237.k0GMb7p16567 at an.bradford.ma.us>,
>     adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)  writes:
>
> > iirc, and back then 24-bit fbs were -very-rare- and
> > -very-expensive-. many highish-end machines back then still had b/w
> > fbs.
>
> I suppose it all depends in which circles you travel.  In 1989/1990, I
> was surrounded by people who were regularly using 24-bit frame
> buffers.  HP workstations, Apollo workstations, SGI workstations, DEC

As to the very expensive part, I was using an SGI PowerSeries with a VGX
in the late 90's and was curious about the initial cost. The workstation
itself wasn't cheap back in 1989 at $30,000, but the VGX card set was
over $100,000.

> Of course, I was in graphics labs.  HP workstations with 8-bit frame
> buffers were available for use by any graduate student at the UofU at

I suspect you were at an especially fortunate department. Certainly the
two University CS departments I bumped heads with around that time
didn't have that level of funding.