[rescue] My Best Rescue to Date.. Ever

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jan 16 23:36:05 CST 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>

>>>Out of curiosity, why not?  We're running 5.1 and 5.2 around here and
>>>thinking about moving up...
>>
>>Bloat.
>

> Bloated, yes, but it seems to do a better job of keeping userland
> processes running even under heavy I/O.  Most of that bloat doesn't even
> have to get installed, btw, unless you -want- wsm and DB/2 and whatever
> else they've crammed onto the distribution media.

Is that a full version of DB/2, or just the runtime needed for applications?

I hate to see them bloating the OS media.  *ALL* of the UNIX system
installs should seperate the base OS install from everything else.

Having to select/deselect packages during initial install is a major PITA.

A simple base OS with an unpolluted and unbloated install, and
everything else seperate like it should be.

Like... NetBSD.  Linux distributions, Sun, IBM, etc... they could all
learn a lot from those guys.

> I hate what they did to the man pages in 5.3.  I've had a hard time
> thinking of anything else that irritates me.

What have they done?