[rescue] FS/FTGH: Sun kit

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 16 16:37:07 CST 2006

" From: Richard <legalize at xmission.com>
"
" In article <200601161955.OAA29772 at Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
"     der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>  writes:
"
" > >> I'm not so sure.  I think the cg6 does 3D, though it's so
" > >> under-documented I can't be sure - and cg6s were common; indeed, the
" > >> LX even has a cg6 onboard.
" > > Googling says that CG6 is an 8-bit frame buffer.
" >
" > It is.
" >
" > > Almost certainly this means it doesn't do 3D graphics in HW.
" >
" > What are the <X,Y,Z> triples of registers for then?
"
" Hell if I know, I don't know jack about Sun graphics hardware.
"
" The reason that I say it "almost certainly" doesn't have 3D support is
" that anyone wanting 3D support isn't going to tolerate the low color
" fidelity of an 8-bit framebuffer.

you forget how old the cg6 family is.  it dates back to about '90
iirc, and back then 24-bit fbs were -very-rare- and -very-expensive-.
many highish-end machines back then still had b/w fbs.