[rescue] FS/FTGH: Sun kit

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 14:03:00 CST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:54:02 -0500, Phil Stracchino
<phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> In article <Pine.LNX.4.62.0601151718080.28717 at mooli.org.uk>,
>>     Shirker <shirker at mooli.org.uk>  writes:
>>

>>> A large box full of SBUS cards. There are a few I'll be keeping, but
>>> the rest of the crate is up for grabs. It's largely network, SCSI and
>>> graphics cards. You can't have the box, sorry, just its contents ;)
>>

>> Being a graphics freak, I'm interested in any graphics cards for Suns
>> :-).
>>
>> By chance, do any of them do 3D?  I don't think Sun ever shipped a
>> workstation with 3D in the base configuration -- IIRC, you had to buy
>> an upgraded card to get hardware accelerated 3D.  Things may be
>> different now, I haven't tracked Sun HW configs since the early 90s.
>
> Both U10s and U30s were available in "Creator3D" models complete with a
> spiffy molded logo attached to the front of the case.

Ditto for the Ultra 1 and Ultra 2.  I have an Ultra 2 Creator3D running
Solaris 10, but I haven't had a chance to try anything 3D on the
Creator3D.  From what I've heard about the Creator3D, it doesn't have much
memory on it, so I'm probably not going to be running GLQuake on it.  Plus
the OpenGL subsystem in Solaris was something you had to pay for, and I'm
running Solaris 10 on the Free RTU license.  Then again, Sun opened up
their development tools for download last I heard.